Monday, June 22, 2009

back in kampala...

after a week away in kijabe, kenya, i am back in the office in uganda. i just got back from a walk to the grocery store for my healthy lunch of a bag of some type of bbq flavored fried corn sticks...not my best decision since being here, but hey, they were about $.50. cheap = lunch for me, :).

i am missing the kijabe weather - it was sooo nice, it reminded me of an early spring day in pennsylvania. it was chilly but the sun was out and every night i had to wrap up in two heavy blankets to be warm - i LOVED it. as of right now, there is sweat trickling down my shins - gross, graphic, i know, but oh so true.

kenya was great. it was my first visit to a CURE hospital and it was so good to finally see what it is i am doing here. it will take a little while to get used to taking not only stills, but video as well. it's definitely not my strong suit here, but i'm working on it. i spent a lot of time in the hospital and then we went to a clinic about 2.5 hours away for one day. there, they treated about 30 kids with club foot, casting them to correct it. it was fascinating. each night, boba and i would sit in my room and watch friends on my laptop. we finished an entire season, :). i read the book, "three cups of tea" while there and it was really inspiring/interesting. it was one lindsey left behind - thanks linds, haha.

i will definitely post photos later - internet is too slow to handle it right now. i am busy editing the hundreds of photos taken and getting ready to go to out hospital in mbale, uganda on saturday. i will be there for another week - on the way there, i'm going water skiing with my boss and his wife and some other staff from CURE. apparently, there are level 5 rapids and there is a chance i might die - guess i will be hanging on tight. miss you all and love you mucho!

oh, in other news...i had a rat in my house. it left me larger than usual gifts at various places throughout the house that i discovered the morning i was leaving for kenya. i put it out of my mind and decided to not think about it and hopefully it would be gone when i got back. welp, upon my arrival home, i found many many many more presents all over the house which REALLLLY grossed me out and also two broken glasses that the brat must have knocked off of my shelf in the kitchen. i spent the whole day yesterday kicking walls and doors to make sure it left a room before i entered and i didn't see it at all. i appreciated my mosquito net waaay more last night than i ever have thinking it wouldn't try to get onto my bed through the net. i left my itunes playing all night so it would know i was in the room (i have no idea what goes on in a rat's thought processes, but last night i thought i was thinking pretty logically). then this morning, still trying not to think about it, i went into the guest bedroom where i have macgyver'd a clothes line to hang my underwear to grab a dry pair. and that's when i saw it - a HUUUUUUUUUGE rat, dead, right underneath my clothesline. thank the good LORD that i had already grabbed a pair before i saw it cuz there was noooo way i was going back in! i was brushing my teeth so i couldn't scream, but i would be lying if i said that a tear didn't trickle down my face! i patiently waited a half hour until my boss came to pick me up and he ever so graciously disposed of the creature. i whined enough about it to him and we're having the house fumigated this week.

the end.

2 comments:

  1. Noooooooo.....................okay, that right there is my worst nightmare and you survived it!! I'm heading to Costco tomorrow in search of Clif bars. Maybe I should pack them in a tin??

    ReplyDelete